I got this recipe from my friend Asma and Rizwana. one gave me the recipe for lasagne and the other for shepherds pie, so I combined them both and voila shepherds pie recipe. I’ve had good feedback for this, from other people who have made it themselves. (I may have grammar mistakes below because this was sent to my friend via an email in text form and I’m too tired right now to double check it all) 😴 Also I was being adventurous with my pie so added a handful of pasta to my mince mixture, of course you don’t need to do this.😂
- 1 Medium Onion
- One tomato
- Green chilli, fresh or paste doesn’t matter,
- 1/2 tsp Ginger/garlic
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder/seed
- 1/3 tsp Coriander powder
- Keema (mince meat)
- Lloyd grossman chilli and tomato
- 8 medium Potatoes
- Veg-pepper carrot and sweet corn, mushrooms optional
- Yorkshire pudding, this is optional but it gives the pie a ‘little kick’ with some gravy on side.
1) Sauté onions, till brown- whilst you do this you may as well get potatoes and put it in a pot and let it boil, I’d peel the skin of first cut in pieces then boil it for the mash
2) add cumin powder/seeds just add about 1/3 Tsp to the onions
3) add green chilli- fresh or whatever your mum has in fridge add like bit more than usual because you will add veg tomato paste etc
4) Once the onions are golden brown add the chopped tomatoe and add garlic 1/2 tsp (can use ginger and garlic paste too)
5) Add bit of red chilli and corriander powder, cook for like a minute for all that masala to mix in well
6) Once the above has been cooked at the mince to the mixture and salt according to taste.
7) Then allow the keema to simmer
8) When the water has more or less gone, add the loyds grosman tomato and chilli sauce.
This is the time to add the vegetables too, you can add mushrooms, sweetcorn, pepper, peas and carrots.
9) Let the above cook for good ten minutes so it all marinates with all the flavours properly. (Marinates is probably not the word but oh well😂). You can now add your mixture into an ovenproof dish, make sure it’s not too saucy.
10) Mash the potatoes , add two tablespoons of milk, salt to taste and add butter to make it fluffier and tastier and layer it on top of the mince mixture.
11) Then add cheese and grill for a while or you can leave in oven till the top it’s golden
If you’re treating your bellies with the puddings put them in the oven too!!
12) If you’re making the puddings, make some gravy too and serve with the above once baked. 🙂